Sunday, January 3, 2021

Is Muhammad Eternally Secure?

Muslims are commanded to pour praise and blessings on Muhammad.  The mere mention of the prophet’s name Muhammad is meant to be followed by “peace be upon him”. Blessings are promised for Muslims who pour blessings on his name.  It even says in the Hadith that, "Whoever does Salah upon me [Muhammad] once, Allah will Salah upon him ten (times)"!  But what actually is the benefit to Muhammad for doing this, when he is already in the grave?  Isn’t Muhammad going to heaven?  Why would Muslims need to bless Muhammad?  Is Muhammad’s fate not certain? 

 The truth is that Muhammad wasn't sure of his fate.  It is written:

Say (O Muhammad SAW):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of Allah) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner." Quran 46:9, Hilali-Khan

 Muhammad was to say he “didn’t know what would be done with him”.  What does this mean?

 According to Ibn Kathir’s Tafsir on Quran 46:9, this verse relates to a story regarding what would happen to Muhammad when he dies.  The verse was revealed because an Ansari woman was confident about the eternal destiny of a dying man.   She thought this man was very pious.  She was confident that he would be honored by Allah in the afterlife.  Muhammad corrected her.  Muhammad says regarding the dead man:

 “(As for him, certainly (death) has reached him from his Lord, and surely I wish well for him.  But by Allah, even though I am Allah’s Messenger, “I do not know what will happen to me (after death).)  I then said, `Never will I claim a person to be pious after this.' ”  Ibn Kathir's commentary on Quran 46:9

 This story is taught in the Hadith:

Narrated Kharija bin Zaid bin Thabit: 

Um Al-`Ala an Ansari woman who had given the Pledge of allegiance to Allah's Messenger () said, "`Uthman bin Maz'un came in our share when the Ansars drew lots to distribute the emigrants (to dwell) among themselves, He became sick and we looked after (nursed) him till he died. Then we shrouded him in his clothes. Allah's Messenger () came to us, I (addressing the dead body) said, "May Allah's Mercy be on you, O Aba As-Sa'ib! I testify that Allah has honored you." The Prophet () said, 'How do you know that?' I replied, 'I do not know, by Allah.' He said, 'As for him, death has come to him and I wish him all good from Allah. By Allah, though I am Allah's Messenger (), I NEITHER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ME, NOR TO YOU.'" Um Al-`Ala said, "By Allah, I will never attest the righteousness of anybody after that." She added, "Later I saw in a dream, a flowing spring for `Uthman. So I went to Allah's Messenger () and mentioned that to him. He said, 'That is (the symbol of) his good deeds (the reward for) which is going on for him.' "  Sahih al-Bukhari 7018, Book 91, Hadith 35

Muhammad didn't know exactly what would happen to himself after he dies.  Muslim friends, do you really want to entrust your eternal security with the teachings of this man?  Jesus promised to provide a way you can be sure of making peace with God.

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.  John 5:24, ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment